CHOICES is part of a national network of SHIP agencies that offers free, confidential counseling, education and assistance to Medicare beneficiaries, their caregivers and the general public. CHOICES is administered by the Dept. of Aging and Disability Services State Unit on Aging in partnership with CT’s five Area Agencies on Aging and the Center for Medicare Advocacy, Inc.
CHOICES New Team Member Trainings are free for volunteers and $125 for in-kind (paid) professionals. Training participants will complete an orientation session, 5 full days of training, sign the CHOICES Memorandum of Understanding, and pass the online certification exam. Training topics include but are not limited to: Medicare Parts A, B, C and D, Medigap, eligibility, coverage, costs, coordination of benefits and transitions from other insurance, and cost assistance programs for low-income beneficiaries, including MSP, LIS and Medicaid. Training manuals will be provided.
CHOICES Team Member roles include: Counselor, Administrative Support, Open Enrollment Counselor, Outreach Counselor, and Presenter. If you would like to make a positive difference in the lives of Connecticut’s Medicare beneficiaries, contact your CHOICES Regional Coordinator. Individuals who may have a conflict of interest such as insurance agents, brokers and financial planners are unable to participate in the trainings.
Registration and Approval by Regional Coordinator Required to Attend Training.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure the safety of everyone involved,
all orientation and training sessions will all be provided online.
- Southwestern CT Agency on Aging (SWCAA)
- Orientation: April 1
- Training Dates: April 5, 8, 13, 15, 19
- For more information:
- Claire Volain at 203-814-3686 or [email protected]
- North Central Area Agency on Aging (NCAAA) and Western CT Area Agency on Aging (WCAAA)
- Orientation: June 4
- Training Dates: June 17, 22, 24, 29, July 1
- For more information:
- Urania Reyes Rivera (NCAAA) at 860-724-6443 x277 or [email protected]
- Amanda Halle (WCAAA) at 203-757-5449 x160 or [email protected]
- Darylle Willenbrock (WCAAA) at 203-757-5449 x104 or [email protected]
- Senior Resources Agency on Aging and Agency on Aging of South Central CT (AoASCC)
- Orientation: August 31
- Training Dates: Sept 10, 14, 17, 21, 24
- For more information, contact:
- Laura Crews (Senior Resources) at 860-887-3561 or [email protected]
- Leslie Pruitt (AoASCC) at 203-785-8533 x3165 or [email protected]