Tests for people who are blind or have low vision
Testing is a critical part of the fight against COVID-19, but some people who are blind or have low vision face barriers using many of the COVID-19 tests on the market.
On June 23, 2022, the Biden-Harris Administration launched a new initiative to expand the availability of testing options that are more accessible for people who are blind or have low vision. This initiative complements the Administration’s efforts to expand production of more accessible tests and work with private sector partners on the development of new accessible tests.
How to get the tests:
Order online or by calling 1-800-232-0233.
- Each order will include 2 rapid-antigen tests that are more accessible for people who are blind or have low vision.
- Orders will ship free, while supplies last.
What’s needed to use the tests:
To use the tests, you must:
- Have a compatible Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
- Download and install a free app from the Apple App Store (for iOS) or Google Play Store (for Android).
What makes the tests more accessible:
The test works with the app to provide:
- Audio step-by-step instructions for administering the test.
- Audio test results.
Who should order these tests:
Because of limited supply, we ask that you only order the more accessible tests if you do not have other options for using the standard COVID-19 tests, such as:
- Receiving help from a household member, family, or trusted friend (in person, or through video calling platforms like FaceTime or Zoom).
- Using assistive technology, such as AIRA or Be My Eyes, to help you take the test and obtain results.
Need more assistance?
The trained staff at the Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) can provide additional assistance with:
- Ordering tests.
- Understanding instructions for test administration and test results.
- Providing alternative instructions for traditional at-home tests for people who are unable to access, read, or understand the manufacturer’s version.
- For those who cannot use an at-home test, DIAL operators can:
- Assist with ordering “swab and send” kits to collect a sample and mail it back for results.
- Connect callers to local organizations for assistance locating other testing options in their community, including in-home testing programs or transportation or companion support to visit a community-based testing site.
Call 888-677-1199 Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern) or email [email protected].
Need more tests?
If you are covered by Medicare:
- Medicare will pay for up to eight free over-the-counter COVID-19 tests per month, including tests that are more accessible. This includes people with Medicare Advantage plans.
- Call ahead to make sure your local retailer has the tests you need in stock.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) with any questions.
If you have private insurance, your insurer may provide reimbursement for more accessible tests:
- Call your plan to learn more about how they will reimburse you for the cost of tests.
- Call ahead to make sure your local retailer has them in stock.